Your home is a place of comfort; it’s where you feel the safest. An accidental fire can erupt and ruin that within minutes, endangering your family and resulting in structural damage. According to data from the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 350,000 home fires each year in the United States, with a majority of them occurring in the colder months. Now is the time to be aware of the leading causes of residential fires, so you can lower your risk and keep your property safe. Our damage restoration specialists at Big Guys have seen fires caused by cooking, cigarette smoking, and faulty wiring. Get the full list below and safety tips!
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, responsible for $1.2 billion in property damage annually. It’s crucial that you follow safe practices when dealing with highly flammable ingredients.
Safety tips: Don’t leave the kitchen unattended, especially when you’re dealing with oils and grease. It’s also a smart idea to have a fire extinguisher nearby.
2. Heating appliances
The second leading cause of home fires is heating equipment, which includes space heaters, wood stoves, chimneys, and heat lamps.
Safety tips: Failure to clean heating equipment is the top contributor to fires, so remember to keep up with maintenance. Also, when using these appliances, you must keep them at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
3. Electrical faults
Lighting sources and home wiring failures account for nearly 45,000 home fires each year. These typically occur because of short circuits that can ignite nearby materials, or from overheated wires.
Safety tips: Don’t deal with electrical projects on your own, unless you are qualified. When you use any electrical appliances, make sure the cords aren’t frayed or damaged. Lastly, resist overloading outlets and unplug wires if you begin to notice any heat coming off.
4. Indoor smoking
While cooking is the leading cause of home fires, smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths, with an average of 570 deaths each year.
Safety tips: Avoid smoking indoors, or limit smoking to areas away from combustible items. Always make sure cigarette butts are completely extinguished!
Candles, lighters, and matches are all fire hazards that should be monitored closely, especially during the holiday season.
Safety tips: Don’t leave candles burning for extended periods or unattended. After you ignite the candle, lock away matches and lighters in a safe and secure location.
If your home has suffered from fire or smoke damage, Big Guys Restoration is here to help. Our professional team is available 24/7, so you can count on us to be there when you need us most. Call us at (972) 362-9081 for assistance!